Looking for the best infrared lens filters to enhance your photography? Look no further! We have carefully curated a list of top-notch options that will take your images to the next level. Whether you are a professional photographer or an enthusiast, these filters will help you capture stunning infrared shots with ease. Read on to discover the perfect filter for your needs.
How We Tested?
Why Best Infrared Lens Filters are Necessary?
Infrared photography has gained popularity among photographers in recent years, thanks to its unique and striking images. This technique involves capturing the invisible infrared light spectrum, which results in surreal and dreamy photographs. However, to achieve the best results, using high-quality infrared lens filters is necessary.
Enhanced Image Quality: The primary purpose of an infrared lens filter is to block visible light while allowing infrared light to pass through. By doing so, it helps eliminate unwanted color casts and ensures accurate color reproduction in your images. This leads to improved image quality with vibrant colors and enhanced details.
Creative Possibilities: Infrared lens filters open up a whole new world of creative possibilities for photographers. These filters can help create a distinct visual style by emphasizing or exaggerating certain aspects of a scene that are not visible to the naked eye. They allow you to capture stunning landscapes with dramatic skies, ethereal portraits, and mesmerizing architectural shots.
Controlled Light Transmission: Different types of infrared lens filters offer various levels of light transmission at different wavelengths. This allows photographers to have better control over exposure settings when shooting in infrared. By selecting the appropriate filter based on your desired effect, you can achieve optimal exposure without overexposing or underexposing your images.
Protection for Your Lens: Investing in high-quality infrared lens filters not only enhances your photography but also provides protection for your expensive camera lenses. These filters act as a barrier against dust, moisture, scratches, and other potential damage that could affect the performance and longevity of your lenses.
Compatibility with Different Camera Systems: Best infrared lens filters are available for various camera systems including DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and even smartphones. This makes it possible for photographers of all levels to experiment with infrared photography regardless of their equipment.
In conclusion, incorporating the best infrared lens filters into your photography gear is essential for capturing stunning infrared images. These filters not only improve image quality but also offer creative possibilities, controlled light transmission, and protection for your lenses. So, if you’re looking to delve into the world of infrared photography, investing in high-quality lens filters is a must.
Our Top Picks
1. Neewer 77mm Infrared Filter Set for IR Supported DSLR Camera
Get the complete infrared photography experience with this versatile filter set. Perfect for creative enthusiasts.
- 【Infrared Filter Set】 Includes 4 infrared filters (IR720/IR760/IR850/IR950), ideal for infrared photography, low light photography, long exposure photography, black and white photography, and more
- 【Incredible Infrared Effects】 IR720 IR760 IR850 IR950 filters respectively block infrared rays above 720nm/760nm/850nm/ 950nm and capture part of images beyond the human visible spectrum, resulting in a distinctive look with a surreal and ethereal atmosphere
- 【Multi NANO Coated HD Optical Glass】 Made of HD optical glass with 30 NANO coatings on both sides, these IR filters deliver super clear images with enhanced contrast under invisible infrared light
- 【Sturdy Double Threaded Frame】The aluminum alloy frame ensures durability and the CNC precisely machined double threads allow attachment of additional filters or hoods
- 【NOTE】 1. Please set a custom white balance for your camera first. 2. Please set the camera to manual mode and take a few test shots to find the best exposure time. The exposure time is relatively long when using IR filters
- Four different IR filters (IR720, IR760, IR850, and IR950) included in the set.
- Comes with a carrying pouch and cleaning cloth.
- Compatible with a wide range of Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, and Kodak cameras.
- Filters may require careful calibration to achieve desired effects.
- Some users may find it challenging to switch between different filters quickly.
- Limited information provided regarding the filter’s optical properties.
|Item Dimensions||(Weight: 0.22 pounds)|
2. Desmond-ICE 77mm Slim Infrared Infra-Red Filter 850HB Optical Glass
Experience exceptional infrared photography with this slim filter that delivers outstanding optical performance.
- ►Ideal for Wide Angle Lenses. Slim:►3.6mm deep (not inc rear threads).
- ►Infrared 850nm
- ►Optical Glass Screw-in filter
- ►Metal, double threaded frame to allow additional filters or hoods.
- ►Superfine matte black frame.►Black-rimmed glass
- Ultra-slim design for minimal light interference and vignetting.
- Provides excellent infrared filtering at 850nm wavelength.
- Made from high-quality optical glass for optimal image quality.
- Only available in one size (77mm).
- Requires additional care during handling due to its slim profile.
- May not be compatible with all camera lenses or accessories.
|Item Dimensions||(Height: 50 Centimeters, Length: 100 Centimeters, Weight: 100 Kilograms, Width: 100 Centimeters)|
3. Gzikai UV AR IR Cut Filter for Camera Camcorder Lens 10mmx1mm
Protect your lens and block unwanted UV, AR, and IR rays with this reliable Gzikai filter.
- Package Included: 1PCS 10mm Optical UV AR-IR CUT filter.
- Excellent optical quality.UV IR-AR 10mm filter is applied to block Ultraviolet Rays,Infrared Rays.
- The optical low-pass filter is processed by special coating film.
- The product is suitable for CCTV lens,security camera,driving recorder,digital camera,video door phone,video door bell,digital telescope,visual access control equipment,etc.
- Scratches, damage or losing your filter are always a possibility with any camera when changing lenses on the go. Get the best image results from your sports camera with new replacement filters! These 650nm filters block infrared from reaching the sensor so color is crisp and accurate.
- For customization requirements, please contact: [email protected]
- Versatile filter that blocks UV, AR, and IR rays effectively.
- Compact and lightweight design for easy installation.
- Suitable for various camera and camcorder lenses.
- Limited information available regarding the filter’s specific optical properties.
- Only available in one size (10mmx1mm).
- Some users may find it challenging to install on their lenses securely.
4. Green-L Infrared Filter 52mm X-Ray IR 720nm Optical Glass Filter
Unlock the world of infrared photography with this high-quality Green-L filter. Enhance your creative vision.
- 【Infrared Filter】These filters are ideal for creating special affects or for changing the lighting in photography, and also for use in analytical situations where UV and visible light needs to be blocked.
- 【Multi-Resistant Nano Coating】Made of professional optical glasses with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating technology,9HD hardness making the filter anti-scratch, water repellent, oil & dust .
- 【Well Built】Filter frame made of tough aviation aluminum frame ensuring durability.
- 【Easy to Use】These are filters which screw on front of the lens. Any lens with 52mm thread it will work.Please verify your camera’s lens thread size.For example: Ø52mm.
- 【NOTE】1.Please set a custom white balance of your camera.2.Please set the camera to manual mode, try a few more times, get the best exposure time.The exposure time is relatively long when using IR filters.
- 720nm color for capturing stunning infrared images.
- Made from durable optical glass for excellent image quality.
- Compact and lightweight design for easy transportation.
- Limited compatibility with specific lens sizes (52mm).
- Requires post-processing adjustments for optimal results.
- May not be suitable for all types of photography.
|Item Dimensions||(Height: 0.79 inches, Length: 5.12 inches, Width: 5.12 Inches)|
5. FOTGA Adjustable Variable Infrared IR Pass X-Ray Lens Filter 58mm
Capture unique infrared photographs with this adjustable lens filter from FOTGA. Discover a new perspective.
- Infrared filters, sometimes called IR filters or heat-absorbing filters, are designed to allow IR mid-infrared wavelengths while block visible light. They are often used in devices with bright incandescent light bulbs (such as slide and overhead projectors) to prevent unwanted heating
- There are also filters which are used in solid state (CCD or CMOS) video cameras to allow IR due to the high sensitivity of many camera sensors to near-infrared light. These filters typically have a blue hue to them as they also sometimes block some of the light from the shorter visible light and UV wavelengths
- Digital cameras are usually equipped with IR-blocking filters to prevent unnatural-looking images. IR-transmitting (passing) filters, or removal of factory IR-blocking filters, are commonly used in infrared photography to pass infrared light and block visible and ultraviolet light. Such filters appear black to the eye, but are transparent when viewed with an IR sensitive device
- The creative adjustable IR filter is a compact all-in-one variable wavelengths filter that adjusts the amount of wavelengths with just the twist of your wrist. The index marks on the filter let you know exactly the amount of wavelengths at a glance. Giving you clear and precise shots at whichever wavelengths you are using. It offers you the freedom to create different wavelengths freely
- You don’t have to carry a bunch of filters for shooting. Just one filter, gives you from the range 530nm to 750nm freely
- Adjustable filter with multiple infrared wavelengths (530nm to 650nm, 680nm, 720nm, and 750nm).
- Compatible with various DSLR camera brands.
- Easy to use and adjust for desired infrared effects.
- Limited compatibility with specific lens sizes (58mm).
- May require additional equipment or adapters for certain camera models.
- Some users may find it challenging to switch between different wavelength ranges quickly.
6. Desmond-ICE IR 95mm Infrared Infra-Red Filter Optical Glass
Experience exceptional infrared photography with this high-quality IR filter from Desmond-ICE. Capture stunning details.
- Ideal for Wide Angle Lenses.
- Infrared 760nm
- optical glass Screw-in filter
- Metal, double threaded frame to allow additional filters or hoods.
- Superfine matte black frame.
- Extra-large 95mm size for compatibility with a wide range of lenses.
- Provides excellent infrared filtering at 760nm wavelength.
- Made from durable optical glass for optimal image quality.
- Requires careful handling due to its larger size.
- Limited information provided regarding the filter’s specific properties.
- May not be suitable for all camera models or lens dimensions.
|Item Dimensions||(Height: 50 Centimeters, Length: 100 Centimeters, Width: 100 Centimeters)|
7. Sunset Foto 58mm X-Series IR720 Infrared Filter for DSLR Camera Lens
Add a creative touch to your photography with this infrared filter that captures stunning IR images.
- 58mm X-Series IR720 Infrared Filter Eliminates Visible Light Below 720n
- High Quality Pure Optical Glass
- Double Threaded to Accept Other Filters or Accessories
- Produces Great Special Effects, Note: These filters are not coated
- Universal Filter works with Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc.
- 720nm color for enhanced infrared effects.
- Compact and lightweight design.
- Suitable for a wide range of DSLR camera lenses.
- Only available in one size (58mm).
- May require post-processing adjustments to achieve desired results.
- Some users may find it challenging to accurately adjust white balance settings.
|Item Dimensions||(Height: 2.83 inches, Length: 2.28 inches, Width: 0.3 inches)|
Buying Guide for the Best Infrared Lens Filters
When it comes to photography, capturing unique and stunning images is the ultimate goal. One way to achieve this is by using infrared lens filters. These filters are designed to block visible light and allow only infrared wavelengths to pass through, resulting in ethereal and otherworldly photographs.
But with so many options available in the market, finding the best infrared lens filter can be a daunting task. To simplify the process for you, we have put together this comprehensive buying guide. Whether you are a professional photographer or an enthusiastic hobbyist, these tips will help you make an informed decision.
Before purchasing an infrared lens filter, ensure it is compatible with your camera lens. Different lenses have varying diameters, so it’s crucial to check the filter thread size of your lens before making any purchase. Many filters come in multiple sizes or include step-up/step-down rings to fit a range of lenses, providing flexibility and convenience.
2. Filter Type
There are different types of infrared filters available on the market, each producing unique effects on your photographs. Some popular options include:
Standard IR Filters (720nm): These filters block most visible light while allowing some red and near-infrared wavelengths to pass through. They produce classic black-and-white infrared images.
Super Color IR Filters (590nm): These filters allow more visible light to pass through along with a broader range of infrared wavelengths. The resulting images exhibit vibrant colors with an ethereal feel.
Deep Black IR Filters (850nm): These filters block almost all visible light and only allow deep red and infrared wavelengths to pass through. They create dramatic black-and-white images with high contrast.
Consider your photographic style and desired results when choosing the type of filter that best suits your needs.
3. Transmission Efficiency
The transmission efficiency of an infrared lens filter determines the amount of light that passes through it. Higher transmission efficiency allows more light to reach the camera sensor, resulting in brighter images. However, filters with lower transmission efficiency might be better suited for long exposure photography or when shooting in extremely bright conditions.
4. Build Quality
The build quality of an infrared lens filter is an essential factor to consider. Look for filters made from high-quality materials that are durable and scratch-resistant. Additionally, coatings such as multi-layered anti-reflective coatings can help reduce reflections and glare, ensuring optimal image quality.
5. Price Range
Infrared lens filters come in a range of prices. While it’s tempting to opt for the cheapest option available, investing in a higher-quality filter will often yield better results in terms of image quality and durability. Consider your budget and prioritize filters that offer a balance between cost-effectiveness and performance.
6. User Reviews
Lastly, always take the time to read user reviews and ratings before purchasing an infrared lens filter. Real-world experiences from other photographers can provide valuable insights into the performance, usability, and overall satisfaction with a particular product.
By considering these factors while shopping for an infrared lens filter, you’ll be able to find the best option that suits your photographic needs and captures stunning infrared images with ease.
What are the best infrared lens filters for capturing stunning photos?
The best infrared lens filters on the market offer exceptional image quality and enhanced contrast.
How do infrared lens filters enhance photography?
Infrared lens filters can transform ordinary images into breathtaking works of art by capturing unique light wavelengths that are invisible to the naked eye.
Are there any affordable options for infrared lens filters?
Yes, there are several budget-friendly infrared lens filters available that offer great performance without breaking the bank.
Which brand offers the highest quality infrared lens filters?
Many professional photographers swear by renowned brands like XYZ when it comes to choosing high-quality and reliable infrared lens filters.
Can beginners use infrared lens filters effectively?
Absolutely! Even if you’re new to photography, using an infrared lens filter can instantly elevate your shots and add a touch of creativity to your work.
Are there specific types of cameras that work best with infrared lens filters?
Infrared lens filters can be used with various camera models, including DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, allowing photographers to explore their artistic side using different equipment.